Purdue University and the parents of a 19-year-old freshman have agreed to a settlement in the fatal accident that occurred last January. The student wandered into an unlocked utility room where he was electrocuted on January 13th. The boys body was not discovered until two months later.
The family of the victim was paid a lump sum settlement of $500,000, the maximum amount that can be claimed under Indiana state law against a public institution in a wrongful death case.
Purdue officials have said the room was examined, but not thoroughly, during the search for the missing student days after he disappeared. Officials have not been able to explain why the exterior door to the room was unlocked.
For more information on this subject matter, please review our section on Wrongful Death.