As of August 14, 2007, about 2.4 million Polly Pocket Play Sets were recalled due to small magnets coming loose from inside the dolls. These small magnets are easily swallowed or aspirated, and can become a major threat to children. If more than one magnet is swallowed at a time, then serious damage can occur as the magnets are attracted to each other and can cause intestinal perforation or blockage, which can be fatal.
There have been more than 400 reports of magnets becoming loose from the dolls, and there have been three reports of serious injuries requiring surgery for intestinal perforations from children who had swallowed more than one magnet.
The magnets come from the hands and feet of the plastic dolls and the other accessories included in the play sets. To see if your model number matches the ones that were recalled, you can check on the bottom of the largest pieces in the play set itself, or you can contact Mattel if you cannot find it.
In order to avoid injuries, consumers should immediately take action in ensuring their children’s safety by removing the toys and contacting Mattel. If this product has affected you or a loved one then contact the office of Reich and Binstock for more information.